Clearbox Systems signs with Raytheon Australia for JP 2008 Phase 5B1. The full story below, can be found on Raytheon Australia’s website here.
Raytheon Australia and the Department of Defence have together signed the contract for Project JP2008 Phase 5B1 to provide the Australian Defence Force (ADF) with increased mobile satellite communications.
This provides the ADF with an in-country partner for its current and future satellite communication challenges.
The signing of the contracts will see Raytheon provide certified satellite transportable land terminals in Frequency Division Multiple Access (FDMA) and Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) modes.
Raytheon Australia’s managing director, Michael Ward, said the company is pleased to be given the opportunity to provide this vital capability to the ADF.
“At a time when communications is so vital to the ADF and when Australia is only one of a small select number of allied nations that is able to use the WGS system, it is particularly important to have a trusted partnership as exists between Defence and Raytheon Australia to contribute to this activity,” he said.
“As the Minister said in his statement, satellite communications are a critical enabler of ADF operations, connecting our troops on the ground with command and control, intelligence, geospatial and logistics information – we are delighted to be helping the ADF achieve mission success providing this capability.”
The Raytheon solution for JP 2008 Phase 5B1 provides a mature military off-the-shelf (MOTS), fielded and technically proven system that meets the wideband global satellite (WGS) communication system certification, transportability, and operational requirements.
To achieve this, Raytheon will draw on its demonstrated expertise as a substantial Australian prime systems integrator to work with its technology partners to integrate specially selected components together in a fully networked satellite communication system.
The company is working with L-3 to provide the terminals and Clearbox Systems to provide an Australian-developed centralised monitoring and control system that will allow the managing and control of the satellite assets.
As part of JP2008 Phase 5B1, Raytheon Australia has been awarded the contracts for both the acquisition and the five-year sustainment period.
The contract signing completes another phase of JP 2008, a multi-phase satellite communications project that is one of the key pieces of the network centric communications capability.
The project is centred around the US WGS system, which is a constellation of 10 satellites, designed to provide secure global military communications in the X and Ka bands.
In his media release announcing second pass approval for JP 2008 Phase 5B1, the Minister for Defence, Kevin Andrews, said the project would provide a significant increase in Defence’s satellite communications capabilities, including the first large terminals capable of adequately supporting deployed headquarters.
“Australia requires assured access to space services for both national and economic security, and this is yet another important step forward in developing Australia’s defence force capabilities,” Mr Andrews said.
Clearbox Systems COO Greg Reid, along with his team ‘Clearsox’ have been training to complete this year’s Oxfam Trailwalker in Sydney. The event consists of a 100km walk through bush and trails, beginning at Brooklyn and ending in Mosman, taking the team an estimated 36 hours.
While the team here at the Clearbox Systems office have been busy eating Oxfam Chocolate blocks to raise money, the real fighters of Clearsox, team members Greg Reid, John Dean, Patrick Crowe and Phillip Gruber, have been training for months in order to complete this incredible effort, all in order to raise money for Oxfam Australia. The Oxfam Trailwalker has grown to be one of the world’s ultimate team events with almost 200,000 people taking part and $140 million raised to support Oxfam’s work.
Oxfam are a not-for-profit organisation who aim to end poverty worldwide. To achieve change, Oxfam Australia:
- works with local organisations to build their capacity to influence and effect change that improves the lives of poor people and enables them to voice and claim their rights
- supports women and first nations peoples to claim their rights and hold leadership roles in order to influence and achieve change
- brokers, mobilises, and participates in networks that influence governments, corporations and institutions to become more accountable and bring about sustainable and systemic change locally, and internationally
- brings together organisations that represent poor people, with relevant governments, corporations and institutions, so that they can discuss problems safely and with dignity, and work collaboratively to identify ways of redressing the imbalance of power.
If you would like more information about Clearbox Systems’ team, or to help the fantastic cause by donating, please visit: https://trailwalker.oxfam.org.au/team/home/17655
Remember, every dollar counts towards a better future. We kindly thank you for your support!
26 November 2013
The Minister for Defence, Senator the Hon David Johnston today congratulated the latest group of Australian organisations to have been selected to join the unique Rapid Prototyping, Development and Evaluation Program (RPDE).
The RPDE, which is a Defence and private sector collaborative venture, was established in 2005 to solve difficult and challenging problems affecting the delivery of capability to the warfighter.
I would like to offer my congratulations to the new members for successfully qualifying for RPDE’s world class Program, Senator Johnston said.
Through engagement with industry, Defence can maximise a wide range of expertise and continue to deliver the right capability for our service men and women. Commitment and cooperation within the Program is paramount he said.
New entrants this year include Optus Networks, UGL Engineering Pty Ltd, Queensland University of Technology and the University of Newcastle.
RPDE already includes an impressive list of Australia’s foremost research and development organisations, and has access to the most innovative solutions from leaders in their field.
A full list of the new and current organisations participating in the Program can be found at www.rpde.org.au.
Minister for Defence Media Adviser, Rebecca Horton: (02) 6277 7800
Defence Media Operations: (02) 6127 1999
- RAAF selects Clearbox Systems for lightweight ISREW sensor development December 18, 2019
- Clearbox Systems hiring for multiple roles to commence in 2020 December 11, 2019
- Clearbox Systems strengthens research expertise and welcomes Dr. Noor Islam December 8, 2019
- Mike Johnson elected to board of Australian Defence Information and Electronic Systems Association (ADIESA) November 26, 2019
- UNSW Canberra collaborates with Clearbox Systems November 25, 2019
- Defence Industry Internship Program supports interns November 24, 2019
- MilCIS 2019 a success for Clearbox Systems November 14, 2019
- Clearbox Systems exhibiting at MilCIS2019 November 6, 2019
- Clearbox Systems to present at Defence Innovation Hub Industry Conference October 31, 2019
- Clearbox Systems at Global MilSatCom 2019 in London October 30, 2019
- Australia and Clearbox Systems on the international stage at IAC2019 October 27, 2019
- Clearbox Systems introduces Business Development Manager role October 1, 2019
- Clearbox Systems receives ISO9001:2015 and ISO27001:2013 certification for Quality and Information Security Management Systems September 15, 2019
- Clearbox Systems Pty Ltd and Kythera Space Solutions Announce Strategic Partnership September 9, 2019
- Clearbox Systems at DSEI 2019 September 2, 2019
- Australian Defence awards Clearbox Systems crypto innovation project August 19, 2019
- DAB+ turns 10 in Australia August 12, 2019
- SATCOM Control Software put through its paces at Talisman Sabre 2019 July 29, 2019
- Team Defence Australia and Clearbox Systems at Navy League’s Sea Air Space Expo April 24, 2019
- US Military customer selects Clearbox Systems for Baseband Network Control Element April 3, 2019
- Clearbox Systems enjoys hugely successful Avalon Airshow 2019 March 5, 2019
- Clearbox Systems selected for Lockheed Martin Mentor-Protégé Partnership February 28, 2019
- Clearbox Systems at Australian Space Industry Conference 2019 February 18, 2019
- Clearbox Systems at Avalon Airshow 2019 February 6, 2019
- Clearbox Systems participating in the Defence Industry Internship Program January 25, 2019
- Clearbox Systems and DST Group sign Collaborative R&D Agreement January 21, 2019
- November 2018 Newsletter November 22, 2018
- Clearbox Systems to participate in Royal Australian Air Force Distributed ISREW trials November 9, 2018
- Clearbox Systems at MilCIS 2018 November 7, 2018
- Press Release: Clearbox Systems and Datapath, Inc Announce Strategic Partnership November 1, 2018
- Clearbox Systems partners with the Australian National University on TechLauncher 2018 April 13, 2018
- Commercial Radio Australia extends DAB+ NMS support with Clearbox Systems. March 3, 2018
- Clearbox Systems to deploy Foresight software for Inmarsat Satellite Services February 5, 2018
- Clearbox Systems supports Digital Radio transmission in Canberra, Darwin and Hobart December 21, 2017
- Clearbox Systems selected by Intelsat General Corporation for ADF SATCOM support December 18, 2017
- Clearbox Systems hiring for multiple roles November 28, 2017
- Clearbox Systems selected for WGS Ground Station support November 24, 2017
- Clearbox Systems to exhibit at MilCIS 2017 November 13, 2017
- Clearbox Systems Signs Support Contract with Raytheon Australia May 9, 2017
- Clearbox Systems celebrates 10 years since founding March 16, 2017
- Clearbox Systems enters agreement to represent Digidia products in Australia January 27, 2017
- Clearbox Systems continues to support TXA National Monitoring System January 23, 2017
- Clearbox Systems signs with Raytheon Australia for ADF SATCOM support January 5, 2017
- Clearbox Systems at MilCIS 2016 November 2, 2016
- New Product: Spectre March 11, 2016
- Clearbox Systems Opens Canberra Facility November 26, 2015
- We’re looking for an experienced Software Developer November 9, 2015
- Clearbox Systems at MilCIS 2015 November 2, 2015
- Clearbox Systems signs with Raytheon Australia for JP 2008 Phase 5B1 May 14, 2015
- Clearsox: Clearbox Systems in the 2014 Sydney Oxfam Trailwalker June 4, 2014